Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Feeling so blessed

We just finished our week and a half at the MTC (Missionary Training Center) in Provo, Utah and words cannot describe how wonderful it was to be there. We were there with 1300 other missionaries, "Junior" and "Senior", as we are called:-) At one of our devotionals we took a minute to look out into the audience from the bottom floor up into the bleachers filled with missionaries going into every corner of the world and then contemplated the fact that every single one of us was filled with the same desire; to invite others to come unto Christ. We all deeply love Him and desire to share that love with everyone. His gospel is for all.
To say that our trip to Germany was stressful would be an understatement. There were so many hurdles. We needed to be at the entrance of the MTC to be picked up at 5:30 AM with our suitcases all packed and weighed and dropped off the night before. I think we got about four hours of sleep that night. But... We made it. We were shuttled up to the SLC Airport and arrived with plenty of time to spare. Our suitcases all passed muster. Thst was a big stresser. Our flight to Doetroit was fine, only 3 1/2 hours with a three hour layover. The flight to Germany was another thing entirely. I now know why several people suggested taking a Valium or some other kind of relaxer to cut down the stress level. We should have taken their advice. It was an eight hour flight due to arrive at 1:00 AM our time. Our Delta airplane was configured with two seats on the left, three in the middle and two on the right. We were in the two seats on the left. There was about one inch of legroom between our knees and the seats in front of us.We knew we needed to get some sleep as we were going to be picked up at airport by our mission president and his wife at 9:30 AM German time (1:00 AM our time!) and driven to the mission home in Frankfurt to receive our assignment and orientations of all kinds. All this on about four hours of sleep in the last two days😳 Anyway, I think one of the flight attendants noticed that I was about ready to crawl out of my skin and invited me to go to the back of the plane where there was an empty two seater. I gladly took her up on it. As I walked down the aisle I saw all these people stretched out on the three seater sections sound asleep. I must admit I was a bit envious. Unfortunately neither of us was able to sleep.
We finally landed and were able to be reunited with all of our suitcases intact. We figured out how to procure a luggage tote (no easy feat) for our four 50 pound suitcases, two packed to capacity carry-ons, one giant purse and one very heavy man purse. We cleared Customs with no sweat and made it out to the main terminal where we to be picked up by Presdent and Sister Stoddard.  Our drive to the mission home gave us great heart palpitations! The city is huge and the streets are like mazes. We were so happy to be passengers instead of drivers.
Upon our arrival we got got our mission assignment. We will be in Nürnberg working with the Young Single Adults and Institute support in all eight of the cities in our district, probably a Stake assignment for Michael, and anything the Bishop would like us to help out with in his ward. Looks like I will be doing quite a bit of cooking. I cook a dinner for the Nürnberg Institute once a week and take dinner twice a month to two other Institutes that we visit. We will also attend and support the singles FHE group here in Nürnberg. 
After our meeting and orientation with Pres. Stoddard we were given the keys to our mission car where we were to drive to Mainz for two days of a Senior Couples Conference. Yikes😳 Remember I mentioned the maze like streets? Unbelievable. We did receive a portable GPS for our car and don't know how we would get around without it. Even Michael, with his built in navigational sense, cannot figure out where N,  S, E and W are😁 We arrived at the B & B Hotel the afternoon before the Conference began and we're finally able to take about a two hour nap. No bed has ever felt better. There were two other couples that arrived early and the called and asked if we wanted to go to the Mainz Christmas Market. But of course! I don't even have enough words to describe how wonderful these are. Let's just say that if you love Christmas decorations you would be in hig heaven. Plus they have marvelous food. I had my first famed Bratwurst. To say it was delicious would be an understatement. It was one of the best foods I have ever had in my life😋It was on a delicious roll with a delicious mustard.
I'm going to post this even though I haven't caught up with where we are because we have to leave the church, the only place we have Internet access so far. We want to get wifi in our apartment but apparently it's quite a lengthy process😕
We love being here and the people we have met here so far are marvelous! We love the gospel.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted and to hear what you'll be doing. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of all of that stress, the idea of having to COOK for people would be the thing that would give me heart palpitations! I hope that the overwhelming-ness of it all goes away quickly. They are so lucky to have you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday mama! Glad you made it safe and sound. If I had to choose a job for myself it would be cooking too. I can't do much but I can throw together a meal and food is a universal language. Er'body loves the cook. I hope you get another bratwurst sandwich for your birthday. And maybe some German chocolate cake. I wonder what it tastes like from Germany and not from a Betty Crocker box? Hmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you arrived safe and sound (albeit pretty fatigued). The adventure begins!....Bratwurst really is the best as is all the food you will encounter in Deutschland. Germany is the best place to be at Christmas time. It is truly a magical time of the year in that country. It is also such a wonderful time to share the message of Jesus Christ and His restored gospel....We'll be following your blog with great interest. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with all of us.....We wish you all the best and will be praying for you....Dana and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd much rather cook than drive! Less chance of killing myself or someone else. Unless you undercook the bratwurst, I suppose. I'm glad you made it safe and sound. I'm sure there will be challenges ahead but I imagine the most stressful part is over (hopefully!) Happy birthday! Just think, by your next birthday you'll be a pro at this mission thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. David and I will be keeping everyone at the Temple posted on all your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete